Tuesday 25 November 2008

What is the job of a graphic designer?

I was asked: What is the job of a graphic designer? and what is your price?

I think everyone will have a different answer to this question but in my opinion the job of a graphic designer is to fulfill the brief given to you in the best possible way, always striving for better and better designs. If every designer keeps improving then the world would be massively improved in a design sense. It is not a designers job to turn their nose up at seemingly boring jobs (e.g. dog food) or even just to nock it out as quick as possible to pay the bills. it should be their obligation to try and fulfill the brief with the best possible way in terms of both clarity of message and aesthetic. Whilst doing this designers should always keep in mind the environmental issues of design, as 'we' as designers produce the adverts and packaging etc which surrounds us we should strive to keep it to a minimal, ensuring as little waste as possible and using recycled materials to their full potential.

To the second question "what is my price?" i have thought for a long time that a job pays the bills and you should fulfill any and all requirements of the job (in a design sense only) but when asked if i would have designed the swastika if it was asked of me, or even if i was asked to design something for the BNP or BPP no matter how big/profitable the job i think i would have to refuse.
In the swastika sense that probably would have meant my life, but i honestly couldn't let my work be associated with such a cause.

My only hope is that this job doesn't kill me.

No comments: